label pads in various colors (one color for each room)
a writing pad or notebook + pen
highlighters in the same colors as your label pads
a piece of poster board
1. Designate one color for each room in your new place and use the poster board to make a legend. Post this somewhere that's visible while you pack.
2. Designate a landing spot for all of the packing supplies and let anyone helping you pack, know where that is. A basket, caddy, tray or bin is helpful to corral everything.
3. When packing a box, label it with a numbered post-it note in the color that corresponds to the room it will be going in.
4. In your legal pad, jot down the number of the box and it's contents. Place a star next to any priority boxes that you'll probably want to open within the first few days of having moved in. *Bonus: If you pack a few different rooms at one time, it's helpful to highlight what you wrote down, in the color that corresponds to the room it will going in. Doing this will make it easy to later scan down your list when you're checking to see what box something is in.
5. On moving day, post the legend somewhere where the movers or you and your crew will see it upon entering the home. That way, whoever comes in the door with a box, can immediately place it in the room it belongs in.
6. Once you're moved into your new place, refer to your list to determine which boxes you want to open first. As days pass, use your list to help you easily locate any unpacked item you may be looking for.